Re: where to send RFC 5378 license forms

2008-12-19 02:31:36
Simon Josefsson skrev:
Ray Pelletier <rpelletier(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org> writes:

On Dec 18, 2008, at 2:14 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:

Why do we need to send these license forms in at all?

I thought the requirement was that the authors get the necessary
rights.  Are you just conveniently keeping track for us?
I would envision folks providing 5378 licenses to the Trust or their
pre-5378 work. If licenses are submitted their names could be posted
online for other Contributors to  ascertain whether a pre-existing
work has been so licensed.

How does this help contributors use the older material?  As far as I
understood the rules, it is the author that needs to get the necessary
rights from the original contributor before submitting it to the IETF.
The form appears to give the necessary rights from the original
contributor to the IETF Trust, not to the authors.
If the Trust has those rights, it's licensing them to all participants under the same terms as post-5378 works.

              Harald