Re: The internet architecture

2008-12-29 12:10:36
At 17:04 +0100 2008/12/29, Rémi Després wrote:
John Day - le (m/j/a) 12/29/08 4:24 PM:

Re: The internet architecture
No it isn't Transport's job. Transport has one and only one purpose: end-to-end reliability and flow control.

"Managing" the resources of the network is the network layer's job.

Reliably... and also efficiently.

Definitely.

To transmit as fast as possible, including with load sharing among several parallel paths, the flow control function (i.e. the transport layer, right?) has, in my understanding, to know how many address couples it uses.

Strictly speaking, no, I would disagree that these are transport functions. Transport has no need to know any address couples. That is why it has a connection id, i.e. concatenated port-ids. But then as I said, there really is no distinct transport or network layer.

This is where things get involved. because really the boundary between network and transport is a false boundary. The last remnant of "beads-on-a-string" thinking. One sign of this is the need for a protocol-id field in IP. If we hadn't gotten into a battle with the PTTs over whether or not we needed a Transport Layer at all, I think we would have seen this a lot sooner. But the battle caused lines to be drawn and forces to dig in. ;-)

Whether the transport layer can delegate some of its flow control function to an intermediate layer is IMO a terminology question.

Somewhat. There is a fair amount of science on this topic under the heading of process control. The only purpose flow control should have in a transport protocol is to keep the sender from overrunning the receiver. <full stop> Getting the terminology right can go along way to solving the problem.

Although, these distinctions of Network and Transport Layer are . . . shall we say, quaint.

Yes, indeed.

Multihoming is fundamentally a routing problem. SCTP tries to claim to solve it by changing the definition, an old trick.

I am not sure what the two definitions are.
Being more specific would be helpful.

See below, but you did.  ;-)

... Multihoming has nothing to do with what has traditionally been called the "Transport Layer."

It is a problem of routing not be able to recognize that two points of attachment go to the same place. ...

In my understanding, knowing that two locators are those of a common destination is the normal result from getting these locators by translation of an identifier, e.g. a domain name.

I don't believe the routing algorithms translate many domain names. But you are right that a domain name is a synonym for a set of IP addresses.

Take care,
John

RD