Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your review andcomments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-12 20:24:45
Hi -

From: "Russ Housley" <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com>
To: "Doug Ewell" <doug(_at_)ewellic(_dot_)org>
Cc: <trustees(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your review andcomments
on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

Doug:

I hope this response answers your pragmatic questions.

1.  What do I, as editor of an I-D and previously editor of a
related RFC that is not quoted in the current I-D, need to do in
order to allow the WG chairs to move my draft forward into IETF Last Call?

You can proceed to IETF Last Call now.  However, if updates to the
I-D are needed you may be faced with a problem depending on your
situation.  I presume that some or all of the text in the I-D was
contributed before 10 Nov 2008.  If so, then an update to that I-D
requires you or the WG chair to determine if the people that made the
contribution are willing to grant the additional rights required by
RFC 5378.  If so, you are done.  If not, you will need some
work-around like the one being discussed on this thread.

When updates have been wordsmithed by the WG, is it true that
only a person whose exact N words (where N >= X) were used
needs to sign off on it, and we don't need to track down every
single variation suggested during the wordsmithing?  Can
we have a guideline for WG chairs on a value for X?

If IETF Last Call or IESG Evaluation brings comments that require an
update to the I-D, then you end up with the same situation.

If the document is approved without change, then the RFC Editor will
ask each of the authors to grant the additional rights required by
RFC 5378.  If this cannot be done, then the document will sit in the
queue until some work-around like the one being discussed on this
thread is implemented.

In the particular case Doug mentions, there are *no* authors, only
editors working under the direction of a WG.  Does this still apply?
Wouldn't it make more sense for the WG to grant the additional rights,
since it is the WG which authored the work.

Randy