Re: meeting attendance & nomcom

2009-01-14 16:19:49
Like Stephen said, we have even more urgent problems if the attendance goes way down. Lets focus our immediate energy on that front. I'm sure the IAOC and Russ have already spent quite a bit of time on that... Also, if this becomes a serious nomcom issue, I suspect the biggest hit would be taken for the 2010 nomcom. 2009 nomcom will be decided based on attendance between IETF-70 and IETF-74, so even if you stopped coming since Minneapolis you'd still be eligible. So I think we have about a year to change the rule, if needed.

That being said, the nomcom attendance rule is just a convenient way to measure the nomcom member's exposure to the IETF process. Its not the only or necessarily even the best way to measure it. From my perspective the nomcom member needs to have some experience of the people in current positions, experience of other IETF folk that might be selected, and a general feeling of what is happening in the IETF, what works well, what does not, etc. In other words, a nomcom member should preferably have some amount of IETF experience. This could be measured by:

- attendance in meetings
- participation in a design team, conference call, etc.
- activity in the mailing list
- editor, chair, directorate member, etc. role
- authoring a document and taking it through the process

I wouldn't necessarily raise any particular item above the others here. But if pressed for another definition than attendance, I'd probably look at the last one. FWIW last year there were 494 different people who would have qualified. The nice thing about using that rule is that it forces the person to go through many things, including getting his work accepted by a BOF/WG, working with peer reviews in the WG, dealing with IESG reviews, etc. So presumably one would get a lot of experience of how the process works, which people seem helpful and so on.

Its not a problem free definition either, of course. For instance, some of my documents have co-authors that did major work on the specification, but never attended the IETF and would have very little to say in nomcom.

Jari