Re: RFC 5378 "contributions"

2009-01-14 19:43:29
At 1:38 PM +1300 1/15/09, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
On 2009-01-15 13:32, Randy Presuhn wrote:
Hi -

I originally asked this question on the WG chairs' list, and
was asked to ask again here...

The discussion about RFC 5378 (what little I've been able to
understand of it, anyway) has focussed on I-Ds and RFCs.
However, the definition of "contribution" in that document
includes, among other things, mailing list discussions.

Does this mean that we need to get contributor permission
before using, for example, material from a pre-5378 RFC in
a mailing list discussion, or before including text from a
pre-5378 email posting in an internet draft?

This seems really silly, but that's what the discussion is
starting to sound like to me.

IANAL, but it seems to me that we should proceed on the assumption
that this would fall under fair use provisions. Anything else
would seem unreasonable to me.

IANAL, and I'm only following about 10% of this thread, but the phrase "fair
use" does not appear in RFC 5378. Maybe it should.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium