Re: RFC 5378 "contributions"

2009-01-15 09:20:10
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 08:24:08AM -0500, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

The reason why I do not agree with this reasoning is that these
rights are claimed through authorship.

That claim is precisely what I think is false, because RFC 5378 has
defined "Contributor" in a particular way, and then asserted that
there are certain terms to which Contributors are deemed to have
agreed by virtue of making a Contribution.  That a Contributor fails to
assert some claim under those conditions seems irrelevant to me.

That said, I completely agree that geeks playing at law is a nasty
sight (I am tempted to think that it's how we got into this mess).  I
don't personally feel comfortable taking the say-so of the IETF Trust
counsel, though, since the IETF Trust is an interested party in this
discussion.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com
Shinkuro, Inc.