Evaluation: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt to Proposed Standard

2009-02-09 17:41:37

 Dear Sir's

 I am writing to oppose approval of the patent encumbered authz extension of the
 TLS authorization protocol as submitted by Mark Brown of "RedPhone Security"
 and Russell Housley of "Vigil Security LLC", and published in:

    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/tls/draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt

 I have been alerted to the fact that "RedPhone Security" has applied for a patent
 which would need to be licensed to anyone wanting to implement and -- more
 importantly -- practice the standard. It is obvious in my mind that this should be
 by definition unacceptable in an Internet standard, regardless of whether it is
 proposed as "optional", or as a "proprietary extension". If it is proprietary -- a
 necessary fact for supporting a patent claim, it can remain in the domain where
 it originated; there is absolutely no basis for it becoming an Internet standard.

 In my mind, when the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and the Internet
 Engineering Steering Group (IESG) evaluate new proposals for standards, they
 should first and foremost make sure that they are not encumbered by patents or
 any other sort of restriction that would prevent their use by free software users and
 programmers. This is not the case with this proposed standard, and I call upon you
 to not approve it on any level unless the patent threat is removed entirely with a
 royalty-free license for all users

 Sincerely,
 Dimitrios P. Bouras

--