Re: FWIW: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt to Proposed Standard

2009-02-10 10:51:18

I agree with Brian and Marshall, but let me introduce a different perspective on the issue.

Marshall Eubanks wrote:
[...]

I don't see any sensible way you get from the [Brian interprtetation] to the [FSF interpretation].

Maybe it's a matter of ideological objection to patents. Engineering is not always rational, ideology sneaks in in various ways, sometimes under the name ethic.

So you see a bunch of instantaneous IETF volunteers who whish to bring a consensus based on some form of ethic (as they see it, I presume). What can the IETF do? Is there some obscure provision in IETF processes that can turn down participation based on manifest ideological grounds that do not resist analysis from another perspective?

Incidentally, it is intriguing to see the FSF deeply rooted in the Copyright foundation (Berne convention) for ensuring legal protection of intellectual property, and at the same time so ideologically opposed to the patent foundation (Paris convention). But at this point, it becomes useless to argue with them about patents.

Some form of procedural integrity should be sought by the IETF if there is anything to be salvaged after being victimized by instantaneous volunteering based on ideological grounds.

Good luck!

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier
Montreal, Qc
Canada   H2M 2A1

Tel.: (514)385-5691
Fax:  (514)385-5900

web site: http://www.connotech.com
e-mail: thierry(_dot_)moreau(_at_)connotech(_dot_)com