RE: Ah, I see the cause of the situation now... (tls-authz situation)

2009-02-10 17:02:11
I think Melinda makes a good point here.

The fundamental problem with these RMS-grams is that RMS has a longstanding
habit of working in write only mode. He makes little or often no effort to
determine what the situation is. I have in the past found him entirely
interested in responding to enquires as to the purpose of his campaigns.

RMS has a certain number of supporters who are willing to write letters. That
does not mean that RMS's opinion should hold greater weight than that of other
people.

As I have argued in the past, the IETF should have an IPR policy precisely
because of this type of situation. I do not see why there should be a need to
reopen this debate every single time RMS wants to reopen it.

I suggest that we first eliminate from consideration all the submissions which
make no reference to the specific TLS-Authz document in question. In other
words, the one liners of the form 'standards should not have patents' without
making any reference to this specific document all go in the bit bucket. If on
the other hand it is of the form 'we at the FSF have an implementation that a
lot of people use...' then that is different