How does the IETF work? (was:Re: Ah, I see the cause of the situation now... (tls-authz situation)

2009-02-11 16:58:08
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I think Melinda makes a good point here.
[..] RMS has a certain number of supporters who are willing to write letters. That does not mean that RMS's opinion should hold greater weight than that of other people.

We must assume that each writer is expressing her or his own opinion, not that of some generic leader or employer. Otherwise, how do we explain, say, the MARID case?

I'm not a psychohistorian, but I'd guess that if the IETF had been fairly immune from interest driven pressures, the FSF wouldn't have needed to start that campaign in the first place.