RE: [TLS] TLS WG Chair Comments on draft-ietf-tls-authz-07

2009-02-13 13:42:26
I too would like to figure out what the questions are.  The draft is not
about carrying "authorizations" in TLS, or that "The main issue with
these authorization extensions inside TLS is that they happen at the
wrong layer" as stated by Hannes Tschofenig.

Authorization happens at the application layer.  Data is transported at
the transport layer.  The draft is about carrying data (SAML assertions,
attribute certificates, or pointers thereto) that can be used or ignored
by applications when those applications make authorization decisions.

What application domain is involved when I hand someone a certificate
(driver's license) stating that I was born on MMDDYYYY?  It only becomes
part of an application domain when the "someone" is instantiated as a
store clerk who needs to decide whether I am authorized to buy
cigarettes or liquor.  The clerk is doing the authorization, not the
certificate.

Since Mr. Anderson is so exercised about the word "authorization" in the
name of the I-D, perhaps it should be renamed
"draft-ietf-tls-attributes-07".  That would avoid the IPR issues
entirely, since one can transport an attribute certificate without ever
using it to authorize anything.