RE: References to Redphone's "patent"

2009-02-13 14:06:58
    > From: "Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen(_at_)rosenlaw(_dot_)com>

    > the previous IPR WG .. refused even to discuss a patent policy for IETF.

I thought the IETF sort of had one, though (see RFC mumble)?

I definitely agree that the IETF could use some sort of permanent legal IPR
consulting board that WG's could go to and say 'we have this IPR filing, what
does it mean, and what is the likely impact on our work'. And of course that
board would have to have people with professional expertise in IPR on it (i.e.
patent attorneys) - although IMO I think it would be more effective if it were
not _just_ attorneys, but also included some engineers with experience with
the IPR world (e.g. as expert witnesses), to help interface between the two
cultures! :-)

Just briefly, what are the problems you see with the existing IETF patent
policy (other than not having such an consulting board)?

        Noel