Proposal to create IETF IPR Advisory Board

2009-02-16 19:50:36
Paul Hoffman wants:
In this case, "worked-out" means a document
that describes the the current solution, the advantages and disadvantages
of it, a proposal for a new solution, and a transition plan.

Paul, I'm not sure what more you're asking for at this stage. This list is
lively with suggestions, convincing me that IPR issues continue to dominate
the IETF airwaves. A "worked-out" document would be premature in this
context.

One suggestion, now a specific topic on this list if you care to respond
directly, is for the creation of an IETF IPR Advisory Board to help people
everywhere--including thousands of disaffected FSF campaigners--to
understand why certain patents (including the Redphone "patent") are not
worth worrying about.

The charter would be: "Answer IPR questions that are posed by other IETF
working groups." The quality of its answers, as with any IETF working group,
will be at least partly a function of the quality of its participants.

This suggestion is perhaps the most important currently before us, because
an IETF IPR Advisory Board will be able to stop FSF campaigns and other
distractions before they start with facts instead of fiction. What would YOU
suggest for a charter for such an Advisory Board to keep it from crossing
into any forbidden areas?

Or is it every man and woman for themselves in these patent-infested waters?

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242 * cell: 707-478-8932 * fax: 707-485-1243
Skype: LawrenceRosen