Re: Proposal to create IETF IPR Advisory Board

2009-02-18 21:17:21
Michael Dillon wrote:
FSF is very well intentioned; don't understand me to say otherwise. That
said, I think their view on IPR is pretty extreme - "no IPR is acceptable".

Perhaps that is their view as an organization, but if the IETF engages
with the FSF to get individuals involved in the IPR discussions, I
think you will find more flexibility of viewpoint.
Yes but their control is narrow so derivatives are freely made. That's not the license everyone wants for their standard but it serves FSF users. So we should do something that allows any type of standard (open use, open-source, proprietary/controlled use) to be done with the same standards development and validation framework. To do that maybe the licensing needs to be rethought...
If the IETF chooses to ignore the FSF, I don't think that strategy will work.
Which brings us back to the idea that the party managing the standard development effort should define the licensing model rather than the model being uniform to the IETF. Seriously think this through - how about we modify the standards process so that the WIG Development effort selects the specific licensing model for that effort. In fact you may have several efforts implementing the same services side by side, except with separate licensing's.

I think that the licensing model should be totally linked to the standard effort so everyone gets what they want...

You guys want ultimate control - so take it - move the licensing process into the Project Definition and allow people to select those models already in place or specify something different. This means that the issue of negotiating this goes away and we can get back to more important topics.

We also will in one fell swoop open the IETF to totally open-sourced standards models and proprietary ones too. Imagine that - if the licensing model is just moved into the standard itself from the boiler plate housed in the BCP's.

Todd Glassey