Re: References to Redphone's "patent"

2009-02-13 16:09:37
Excerpts from Thomas Narten on Fri, Feb 13, 2009 03:30:41PM -0500:
I definitely agree that the IETF could use some sort of permanent
legal IPR consulting board that WG's could go to and say 'we have
this IPR filing, what does it mean, and what is the likely impact on
our work'.

Please don't go there.

IPR consultation is all about risk analysis. And risk to the IETF
vs. risk to me personally vs. risk to my employer vs. risk to somebody
else's employer, etc. All are VERY different things.

We tried the idea and came to those conclusions.  All the board could
do would be to utter platitudes.