Re: Proposal to create IETF IPR Advisory Board

2009-02-17 11:58:19

Michael Dillon wrote:

Some of the time, [...]
         the IETF should ask the FSF to collect their thoughts and write an
Internet draft that explains why the proposed plan of action is bad, and why the
IETF should take some other plan of action. That draft can then go to the WG
and get resolved before a new protocol ever reaches RFC status.

Under the rule that "the IETF will make no determination about the validity of any particular IPR claim" (BCP79), the WG chair(s) would simply object to discussions about such a draft (apparently no matter who authored the draft, but sometimes some IETF participants are more equal than others, so I'm not 100% sure).

If you want to change this rule, e.g. "the IETF may collect evidence useful to the determination of a particular IPR claim validity and/or scope" then you were challenged to come up with a detailed proposal.

My point in this discussion was that the IETF processes are increasingly inefficient because *at the participant level*, under the current rules, insufficient investigation and analyses are being made. But that's an incomplete diagnostic of the current situation, and I have no solution to propose.

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier
Montreal, Qc
Canada   H2M 2A1

Tel.: (514)385-5691
Fax:  (514)385-5900

web site: http://www.connotech.com
e-mail: thierry(_dot_)moreau(_at_)connotech(_dot_)com