Re: IETF and open source license compatibility

2009-02-13 15:12:58
On 2009-02-13 16:47, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:38:44 +0100
Simon Josefsson <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org> wrote:

The discussion started by Stephan suggesting that free software
authors publish their work as free standards in the IETF.  My point
was that since the IETF disallow publishing standards under a license
that is compatible with free software licensing (e.g., allows
modification), it is not possible for free software authors to do
this.  Thus, to me, this discussion is not related to comments in
source code at all.

My understanding of IETF policy is that the IETF will publish I-Ds that
are in the public domain.  Nothing is freer than that.  You're
perfectly free to put your text in the public domain before submitting
it for publication as an RFC.

Or afterwards, since the license a contributor grants to the
IETF Trust is non-exclusive. So contributing these words to the IETF
does not affect in any way my ability to do as I wish with them
after hitting the Send button.

    Brian