Re: IETF and open source license compatibility (Was: Re: yet another comment on draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt)

2009-02-12 12:27:05
Harald, Margaret, and Simon,

Harald wrote
actually that's intended to be permitted by RFC 5377 section 4.2:

and Margaret wrote:

However, I don't think that anyone actually believes that the IETF will track down people who copy RFC text into comments and sue them or attempt to get injunctions against them.

(2) Even if the IETF did try to sue you for copying sections of RFC text into your source code comments, they'd almost certainly lose

So it seems that we actually do have at least some ability to deal with comment-style use of RFCs fragments in free software. Simon, do you see any residual issues that we need to solve, or were your concerns in areas other than comments?

Jari