Re: IETF and open source license compatibility (Was: Re: yet another comment on draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt)

2009-02-12 10:02:59
Jari Arkko wrote:
Except that it prevents using the text of an RFC as comments in an
implementation.

OK -- I can see how that would be useful, but its not clear to me that
it would necessarily be a blocking requirement.

Jari is right about this.  For a bit of perspective, FSF distributes the text of
the GPL under these terms:

        Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this
        license document, but changing it is not allowed.

It is common to prohibit derivative works of standards and licenses, to keep
standards standard and to prevent, e.g., more- or less-restrictive versions of
licenses from being attributed to the original author.  These documents are
treated very differently from source code.

Aaron