Re: IETF and open source license compatibility (Was: Re: yet another comment on draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt)

2009-02-12 08:35:44
Tony,

Except that it prevents using the text of an RFC as comments in an
implementation.
OK -- I can see how that would be useful, but its not clear to me that it would necessarily be a blocking requirement. Reality check: I'm writing this e-mail to you and at least my side application, OS, and the first couple of hops are completely pure open source yet every protocol I use before until L2 is from an IETF RFC. Maybe the same on your side. And somehow that code got written, presumably without lots of copying of RFC text... And I can think of some RFCs where I'd rather not use that text... (Comments? Who needs comments?)

But in any case, I wouldn't mind if we experimented with a more relaxed license for some set of RFCs...

Jari