Re: Last Call: draft-crocker-email-arch (Internet Mail Architecture) to Proposed Standard

2009-03-02 10:48:13
At 20:21 01-03-2009, Dave CROCKER wrote:
As this draft is being considered as a Proposed Standard, will it be authoritative instead of RFC 5821/5322?

This presumes that there are different semantics or syntax offered by them.

I'm replying to this point separately so that it does not get confused with the rest of my comments.

If there isn't an authoritative reference and there are differences in semantics or syntax between the draft and RFC5321/5322 or future revisions of these documents, it can lead to serious issues. Standards Track documents are around years. The documents may be edited by different authors as they get updated. Errors can happen; the documents can diverge.

In my opinion, it is better to clarify that now or else we will end up having discussions ten years from now to determine which interpretation is correct or which standard to follow.

Regards,
-sm