Re: Last Call: draft-crocker-email-arch (Internet Mail Architecture) to Proposed Standard

2009-03-02 13:49:15
On Mon Mar  2 16:05:16 2009, Dave CROCKER wrote:

Dave Cridland wrote:
On Mon Mar  2 15:49:09 2009, Dave CROCKER wrote:
For the content that overlaps in RFC5322 and RFC5321, which one is authoritative?

Whichever is cited by the document referencing the content, of course.

That sounds pretty unstable, since it produces context-dependent resolution.

It is unstable, yes, but I'm not convinced that's a bad thing - it's stable per document, at least.

What it means is that if a document says "Relay (as defined in [MAIL-ARCH])", or a more generic and sweeping "Terms are as defined in [MAIL-ARCH]", then it's absolutely obvious which definition is being used, and if there is doubt, the reference can be checked.

That the terms differ is, of course, important to resolve in and of itself, but I'm not clear that a definition of a term - which *will* need a citation and reference anyway - needs to have a particular definition set in stone right here and now.

To get consensus behind a single definition requires rather a lot of work, and one simple method of finding the consensus (if one exists) is to have two definitions out there and see which is cited in practise.

Alternately, we could have a public food fight between Klensin, Resnick, and Crocker. If this does happen in SF, can someone ensure it gets filmed for posterity?

Pete usually has too much class to engage in these, publicly. John and I get into public food fights all the time, using food for thought

Yes, well those aren't half as much fun. Don't use food for thought, use custard pies.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net