Re: Internet Society joins Liberty Alliance Management Board: Why?

2009-03-02 13:30:33
Hannes,

Two mostly rhetorical questions...

Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
As you might have noticed, the WebSSO Identity Management space is not
running out of organizations and groups. Someone could, for example, come up
with the question why ISOC did not join the MIT Kerberos Consortium (see
http://www.kerberos.org/), as Kerberos is a technology developed within the
IETF, or to support technologies like OpenID, OAuth, etc. that are closer to
the Internet deployment.

I am sure your team had a lot of conversations with the IAB on what
direction would be better for the Internet (with respect to the creation of
an identity layer) but I fear that many in the IETF community are at best
not informed about what you are doing and why you believe that this is
heading into the right direction.

I find it somewhat interesting that we would perceive the ISOC as being
responsible to the IETF in this regard. The IETF is not the only place
to do standards. Is the IETF the right place to do this work? How go are
we historically at public policy?

If ISOC wants to understand what "managed identity" will mean for end users
then maybe a discussion within the IETF would help to get a better
understanding as some of us have been working on this subject for a while.

One could even claim that the IETF is also a pretty open forum to discuss
these types of things, particularly when they have a high relevance for the
Internet. Did nobody come up with the idea about how the IETF could be more
actively involved in this space?

I give you the IETF 65 and 66 dix/wae bof/dicusssions... What were the
outcomes? Do the right people even come to the IETF?

Ciao
Hannes