Re: Terminal room at IETF74

2009-03-02 13:17:17

--On Monday, March 02, 2009 10:04 +0000 "Dearlove, Christopher
(UK)" <chris(_dot_)dearlove(_at_)baesystems(_dot_)com> wrote:

I have had it confirmed by the secretariat that the terminal
room at IETF 74 will not contain any machines, presumably
just network connections.

But now, if I come to IETF74, I won't have a laptop with me.
Corporate policy, based on recent US legal decisions, is that
I may not take a laptop (or PDA etc.) into the USA. This is
not subject to modification. Obviously even a machine in the
terminal room would be a very poor second, but it seems even
that is out.

Bleech (more about the "US legal decisions" than about your
corporate policies).   A suggestion or two in addition to
Phillip's note about the San Francisco-based laptop rental firm:

* Machines in the "netbook" category have gotten very cheap
(cheaper than IETF registration fees, for example).  While I
would not expect your company to change policy, obtaining a few
of those machines and imaging them to contain nothing in local
storage of corporate interest would seem economic - you are
presumably not the only person who travels to the US.

* Conversely, perhaps it would make sense for the secretariat to
either obtain some of those or make arrangements for a favorable
one-week laptop rental rate in return for an "enhanced
registration fee".  In other words, if you pay the increased
registration fee and make a deposit, you pick a machine up when
you register and drop it off before you leave and get the
deposit back.  I suggest a funny registration fee rather than a
formal rental from the secretariat because it might be easier
for some corporate accountants to swallow (or easier to get
under the radar).

This should go on ISOC's list of things to whine to the new US
administration about, along with visa request rejections because
"attending the IETF isn't a good enough reason".

    john