Re: Terminal room at IETF74

2009-03-11 14:43:05

Some companies are dealing with this by having people travel with a "blank" laptop with nothing but VMWare on them, then download the image of their real machine once they arrive and running it on the VM. I realize your company policy does not allow this but it's interesting all the same.

On Mar 2, 2009, at 6:59 AM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

Does this help?

http://www.bayarealaptops.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org on behalf of Dearlove, Christopher (UK)
Sent: Mon 3/2/2009 5:04 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Terminal room at IETF74

I believe this to be on-topic for this list based on the
summary of on-topic subjects. However I don't see any
similar subjects recently, so apologies if there is a
batter place, and a pointer to it would be appreciated.

I have had it confirmed by the secretariat that the terminal
room at IETF 74 will not contain any machines, presumably
just network connections.

When I first attended an IETF meeting (IETF56) the terminal
room contained several machines, sometimes barely enough.
But over the years the number has declined, along I suspect
with their usage. There have been machine-free terminal rooms
in the past. As like most people I've brought a laptop, I
haven't monitored the situation closely.

But now, if I come to IETF74, I won't have a laptop with me.
Corporate policy, based on recent US legal decisions, is that
I may not take a laptop (or PDA etc.) into the USA. This is
not subject to modification. Obviously even a machine in the
terminal room would be a very poor second, but it seems even
that is out.

There are obviously broader issues regarding US meetings. But
I will limit myself here to the narrower issue, and to simply
bringing it to attention.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Technology Leader, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87,
Farnborough Aerospace Centre, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687