Re: Terminal room at IETF74

2009-03-03 12:26:46
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, John C Klensin wrote:

* Machines in the "netbook" category have gotten very cheap (cheaper than IETF registration fees, for example). While I would not expect your company to change policy, obtaining a few of those machines and imaging them to contain nothing in local storage of corporate interest would seem economic - you are presumably not the only person who travels to the US.

I second this idea.

Given the duties on some of these systems in the EU, you might consider buying from a US vendor, having the machine shipped to the IETF hotel, and installing your choice of OS when you arrive. And then you entirely avoid taking the system through US customs in the interesting direction.

Also consider used laptops: I just picked up a used Dell Latitude for about the same price as a netbook (and half the price of IETF registration), and I'm delighted.

-- Sam