Re: Terminal room at IETF74

2009-03-02 16:54:47

Richard Barnes wrote:
Chris,

At recent IETFs, I've found it helpful to have a couple of machines in the terminal room. Having machines that are pre-configured saved me the time of setting up my machine to work with the printers when I just wanted to quickly
print out a draft during a break.

Having a "kiosk" machine dedicated to quick-printing might make sense.  Nice to
be reminded that indeed, these are provided.

In general, the IETF venue operation needs to supply services that cannot
reasonably be obtained elsewhere.   But we should try to avoid asking IETF venue
operations to spend time and money to satisfy specialized needs.  One of the
benefits in having the IETF meeting in major cities is to make sure that there
are plenty of local resources to satisfy the highly varied needs of our diverse
little community.

When computers were expensive and large, having the IETF supply them was
necessary.  Today, laptops are commodity items, like cell phones and toothpaste.
For the very few arriving without one, they can do a rental.

For example, a quick google for laptop rental surfaces this first entry:

  Rentacomputer.com
  <http://www.rentacomputer.com/rentals/laptop.asp>

There are others, local to S.F.

It looks like the cost ranges between US$125 and US$200 for one week's rental.

Hmmm...  how to off-load this kind of issue from the IETF staff:

    WIKI!

It occurs to me that questions about obtaining various resources and services
usually come up for IETF events and that it would help to have a wiki, for
easily collecting community contributions to point to those, such as rentals,
specialty food stores, recommended restaurants, or whatever.  Hence, the IETF
ops job would be the meta-task of providing the wiki page for the rest of us to
add to.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker