Re: Terminal room at IETF74

2009-03-02 09:14:28
Chris,

At recent IETFs, I've found it helpful to have a couple of machines in the terminal room. Having machines that are pre-configured saved me the time of setting up my machine to work with the printers when I just wanted to quickly print out a draft during a break.

So it might be useful to keep one our two around, but I agree that no more are really necessary.

Thanks for the update,
--Richard

Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
I believe this to be on-topic for this list based on the
summary of on-topic subjects. However I don't see any
similar subjects recently, so apologies if there is a
batter place, and a pointer to it would be appreciated.

I have had it confirmed by the secretariat that the terminal
room at IETF 74 will not contain any machines, presumably
just network connections.

When I first attended an IETF meeting (IETF56) the terminal
room contained several machines, sometimes barely enough.
But over the years the number has declined, along I suspect
with their usage. There have been machine-free terminal rooms
in the past. As like most people I've brought a laptop, I
haven't monitored the situation closely.

But now, if I come to IETF74, I won't have a laptop with me.
Corporate policy, based on recent US legal decisions, is that
I may not take a laptop (or PDA etc.) into the USA. This is
not subject to modification. Obviously even a machine in the
terminal room would be a very poor second, but it seems even
that is out.

There are obviously broader issues regarding US meetings. But
I will limit myself here to the narrower issue, and to simply
bringing it to attention.