Re: Internet Society joins Liberty Alliance Management Board: Why?

2009-03-01 17:50:33
Hi Dave and Hannes,

Thank you for triggering this useful discussion. And thank you to Brian, Patrik and Lucy for their comments as well. A number of good points have been raised both on the topic and others on the ISOC-IETF intersection. These are items to be taken up with the ISOC Board, IAB and the IETF community.

As has been pointed out, ISOC has brought in additional technical expertise and this, amongst other things, has allowed us to broaden our activities as it relates to the Internet's development. Lucy Lynch is championing our Trust & Identity initiative and is the appropriate contact for that discussion - lynch(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org(_dot_)

With respect to the ISOC-IETF intersection, Leslie Daigle (ISOC's Chief Internet Technical Officer), Lucy, and I have been having similar discussions - not particularly formally, but the interaction with the IETF and our responsibility to the IETF are always top of our minds - and of course critically important. Others have been involved as well, some from the IAB and others such as Russ in his IETF Chair role (although again not particularly formally) and we will certainly evaluate appropriate next steps. We are interested in your thoughts so please reach out to Leslie or me - daigle(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org or st(_dot_)amour(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org .

Thanks again,

Lynn

PS. Re: your side note below on the makeup of the ISOC Board, we'll update the list to show the community or mechanism that appoints/ elects Trustees. In the meantime, the IETF appoints 3 Trustees (out of 13, 12 voting and me non-voting). The current IETF appointees to the ISOC Board are: Patrik Fältström, Ted Hardie and Bert Wijnen.