Re: Internet Society joins Liberty Alliance Management Board: Why?

2009-03-01 13:55:44
Hannes,

Let me as a member of ISOC BoT that is appointed by the IETF explain a bit more on what Lucy just explained below. I hope first of all that you specifically noted that ISOC is looking for coordination with many groups. This implies that when you or anyone else see some formal connection between ISOC and other organisations does not imply ISOC can get arrangements with other organisations as well. And, different organisations require different kinds of "connections".

Regarding the work between IETF and ISOC in for example the work on trust, that *is* done together with the IETF. We do not have any formal explicit relationship with the various wg's (but the IETF as you know does not work that way...), but we do of course have connection with various very active IETF participants in the various areas. You can for example have a look at the report that was published in 2008 regarding specifically this work:

http://www.isoc.org/isoc/mission/initiative/docs/trust-report-2008.pdf

Attendees

ISOC Board of Trustees/Officers:

Fred Baker, Scott Bradner (remote), Hiroshi Esaki, Patrik Fältström, Ted Hardie, Daniel Karrenberg, Franck Martin, Desirée Miloshevic, Alejandro Pisanty (remote), Glenn Ricart, Stephen Squires (past BoT member and instigator), Lynn St. Amour, Bill St. Arnaud, Patrick Vande Walle ISOC Staff: Leslie Daigle (remote), Frederic Donck, Lucy Lynch, Karen Rose

Internet Technical Community Representatives:

Russ Housley (Internet Engineering Task Force chair), Olaf Kolkmann (Internet Architecture Board chair), Danny McPherson (Internet Architecture Board)

Subject Experts:

Levi Gundert (Team Cymru), Dick Hardt (Sxip Identity), RL “Bob” Morgan (Internet 2, University of Washington), Mikko Särelä (Nomadic- Lab)

Work has continued after this workshop as Lucy explain, and many individuals are involved in identity work in the IETF (including Kerberos work) have been and are involved. They for example include Leif Johansson that is a long time IETF participant. The whole goal with this project is to coordinate, and explain "what's up".

But, I also see that you seem to be interested in helping, and I thank you for that. ;-)

   Patrik