Re: Consensus Call for draft-housley-tls-authz

2009-03-06 14:34:53

On Mar 6, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Tim Polk wrote:

Folks,

After some time reflecting on the hundreds of messages submitted to the IETF discussion list, I have come to several conclusions about progressing draft-housley-tls-authz. I will summarize the conclusions up front, then provide the rationale for those decisions in the remainder of this message.

1. Last Call demonstrates that the community does not support progression of this document on the standards track, but sufficient support exists for publication as an Experimental RFC.

2. The community would like the TLS working group to develop a standards track mechanism for TLS authorization, and strongly prefers an unencumbered solution.

You don't explicitly state so, but are you concluding that consensus is that draft-housley-tls-authz is an encumbered solution.

I don't have an opinion here either way as I simply haven't done the patent research, nor do I plan to form one. Nor do I intend to form any opinion in this area if and when the IETF produces some other solution in this space.

If publication of draft-housley-tls-authz is approved by the IESG but delayed in deference to working group activities, I intend to request early IANA assignment. This will permit experimental use of this publication while the standards track publication is under development.

I think if the IESG chooses not to publish draft-housley-tls-authz now, the authors should immediately take it RFC Editor for publication and the IESG should not object to its timely publication. In this case, the authors should not be asked to wait on a WG effort as they have done well, I think, to try to publish this through the IETF. It would be disingenuous for us to now delay independent publication of this I-D via the RFC Editor.

Regards, Kurt