Re: Consensus Call for draft-housley-tls-authz

2009-03-10 12:46:27
    As the draft was not approved by the IESG as a "Proposed Standard",
    the fact is that most people in the IETF community would not consider
    it as a proposed standard.

It depends whether one interprets the term according to IETF procedures
or according to everyday understanding of English.

       "The "Experimental" designation typically denotes a specification that
        is part of some research or development effort.  Such a specification
        is published for the general information of the Internet technical
        community and as an archival record of the work, subject only to
        editorial considerations and to verification that there has been
        adequate coordination with the standards process."

How high is the threshold, in practice, for getting something
published as an experimental RFC?  If one can easily get just about
anything published that way on request, that means it requires very
little approval.  In that case I agree that it implies little also.

But if it is necessary to convince someone that XYZ merits publication
as an experimental RFC, that IS a kind of approval.

I don't know which of these two is the case.