Re: Consensus Call for draft-housley-tls-authz

2009-03-12 17:10:15
    Not even close. First, you're again totally missing the essential point
here:
    That an experimental or informational RFC is NOT a standard. So there is
no
    equivalency between our "doing" an experimental RFC and someone else
"doing" a
    standard.

You are the one who compared them, when you said this:

I did no such thing. You're taking what I said completely out of context and
once again failing to understand the difference between standards and other
documents the IETF publishes.

The matter at hand wasn't the publication of any sort of standard in the IETF,
but rather the notion that the IETF publishing an experimental, entirely
nonstandard document would act as an impetus for someone else standardizing
that technology. My point was, and is, that if someone else wants to
standardize something, they will, irrespective of what we do.

You then turned asserted this is tantamount to saying "if we don't do it,
someone else will". But what we're doing isn't publishing a standard, so  the
two "dos" are not equivalent and cannot be compared.

     We really need to get over ourselves here. We may like to think we're the
     gatekeepers against standardization of bad stuff, but we're not. There
are
     simply too many SDOs churning out specifciations these days.

If you think the comparison is misguided, then you should object to
your own point too.

it's a totally different point.

    Second, AFAIK nobody has even intimated that other standards groups are
    planning to standardize this particular proposal.

Then why did you hypothesize it would happen?

I didn't. The discussion has moved past this specific document and moved on to
a discussion of experimental RFCs in general.

It is quite peculiar that you disagree on so many points with te
message you posted on Tuesday.  Are there two different people posting
from your account?

With all due respect, the inconsistency you perceive is because you seem unable
or unwilling to come to terms with the essential properties of the IETF
process, which like it or not has always included the publication of things
other than standards and even includes the publication of "this is a bad idea,
don't do this" documents.

                                Ned