Re: Consensus Call for draft-housley-tls-authz

2009-03-12 17:25:55
Thanks for your response, Richard.  On this point:
I have nothing against obtaining patents to be used only defensively.
If company A wants to do this, I presume it will start by give
everyone a royalty-free license to use the original standard.

I am aware of at least one particular company who largely only patents defensively, and I wonder if that is in fact the general state of the interactions with the IETF. Have people have found that in the past there was a problem making use of even an informational or experimental RFC because of patent restrictions?

Eliot