Re: Consensus Call for draft-housley-tls-authz

2009-03-13 21:30:48
Richard M Stallman <rms at gnu dot org> wrote:

I have nothing against obtaining patents to be used only defensively. If company A wants to do this, I presume it will start by give everyone a royalty-free license to use the original standard.

We can also imagine a troll trap condition of the form "provided you don't participate in any other patent license covering the use of the standard which is offered to the general public and requires payment to any specified party." I would not object to conditions of that sort. IANAL so I don't know whether such conditions are considered lawful in any country.

This is completely different from the hundred or so "campaign" e-mails sent to this list which said that all software patents are evil and all software standards must be 100% patent-free.

http://www.ewellic.org