Re: Consensus Call for draft-housley-tls-authz

2009-03-06 19:42:07
Tim Polk <tim(_dot_)polk(_at_)nist(_dot_)gov> writes:

1.     Last Call demonstrates that the community does not support
progression of this document on the standards track, but sufficient
support exists for publication as an Experimental RFC.

How can that support be demonstrated?  I don't see how we can say
anything about support for experimental unless the community is asked to
answer that question.  That question has been asked in an earlier last
call:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.announce/21152

Presumably, no support for publishing on experimental could be
demonstrated at that time.

Btw, the patent disclaimer #833 is still not available from the IETF web
site.  The community can no longer evaluate the complete patent license
history around the document.  I believe this violates BCP79:

      Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
      assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
      attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use
      of such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
      specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository
      at http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

By removing earlier disclaimers, I believe the IETF has moved into the
territory of making decision about the validity of patent related
claims.

/Simon