Re: Reverse IPv6 DNS checks on ietf MXs?

2009-03-06 19:43:01

On Mar 5, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:32:28AM -0800, Doug Otis wrote:
Note that there has been work in DNSOP suggesting that rejecting on the failure of reverse DNS lookup is not always a good idea.

Agreed.

Just to be clear: I am not sure I agree with those who think reverse DNS should not be maintained, but there were strong currents in the WG that led to the text of that I-D as it stands. It isn't clear to me where the I-D stands in its progression (if there is to be any) from the WG, so I have no idea what the Chairs will say was consensus. But there was a WGLC in which at least some people suggested the text of draft-ietf-dnsop-reverse-mapping- considerations-06.txt still contained too much endorsement of the reverse tree. My personal interpretation of those remarks is that there will always be a hard core of operators who regard the reverse tree as an insupportable burden (without consideration for the v4/v6 differences).

When there is to be reverse namespace, it should be ensured to work. In reality, this is not always the case.

Whether the reverse namespace becomes an expensive luxury for countries adopting IPv6 seems to be an open question. This namespace can be frail, and often is not properly configured which reduces reliability. To sustain the delays reverse transactions create, additional servers might be required to handle the same amount of traffic possible when reverse namespace is ignored.

Reverse namespace is often used to determine, by the nature of the PTR labels, whether an IP address might be dynamically assigned before deciding to accept email from a specific IP address. Will resolving labels for specific IP addresses make sense for IPv6?

Could network policy be listed using HTTPS instead?  Say for example:

A DNS query of b.a. 9.8.7.6.5.0.4.0.0.0.3.0.0.0.2.0.0.0.1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.2.3.4.IP6.ARPA.

becomes:

https://2.0.0.0.1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.2.3.4.DOA.IP6.ARPA.

that redirects to the registered network owner's https servers. The page returned would contain CIDR lists and policy assertions within an encapsulation, such as XHTML.

Finer grain resolutions could be obtained from a network domain of authority or NDOA.<referenced-domain> contained within the CIDR lists and policy page, CLAPP. :^)

-Doug