RE: Consensus Call for draft-housley-tls-authz

2009-03-15 15:32:59
John Levine wrote:
In North America, at least, experimentation per se doesn't infringe
patents.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_exemption

Once again, I wish non-lawyers would ask question before interpreting the
patent law. The experimentation exception referred to in that wikipedia
article [§271(e)(1) or "Hatch-Waxman" exemption] is largely relevant to
pharmaceuticals in process of tests and experiments for regulatory approval.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with software that doesn't get approved by
anyone.

Is that what IETF's "April Fools RFCs" are about? Perhaps drugs will improve
Internet performance. It is worth an experiment....

Alessandro Vesely wrote:
This habit of requiring two lawyers and a judge
for every pair of citizens is really annoying. It is the main reason
for seeking unencumbered environments, IMHO. Software is complicated
enough already.

Fortunately for all of us, there aren't quite that many lawyers. So practice
your complicated engineering and let us lawyers do our job.

/Larry