Re: Does being an RFC mean anything?

2009-03-11 16:24:46
There are, it appears, many types of IETF RFCs, some which are intended to
be called "Internet standards" and others which bear other embedded labels
and descriptions in their boilerplate text that are merely "experimental" or
"informational" or perhaps simply "proposed standard". One contributor here
described the RFC series as "a repository of technical information [that]
will be around when I am no longer around."

I was also under the impression that a lot of RFCs are *not* "IETF RFCs",
since the RFC editor will publish certain types of RFCs without them
having gone through an IETF process.  RFC as a document series is not
the same thing as "the IETF's publications"; the IETF publishes its
final products as RFCs, and so do some others, including individuals.
  -- Cos