Re: Does being an RFC mean anything?

2009-03-11 20:32:11
If someone fails to read the front page of an RFC which clearly states what
that document is and is not, that is their problem. There is no excuse for
stupidity or laziness.

There is a real problem with people thinking that RFC == Free License. We need
to educate people and maybe consider new ways to get that message out. But it
has nothing to do with the status of the document. The purpose of RFCs is in
the *name*: Request For Comments. How much more clear can you get? It is a memo
publication channel for documents related to internet technologies. It is a way
for people to communicate ideas and preserve them. Standards are just a small
part of it.

There is no connection between the document status (standard, info,
experimental, etc.) to its IPR status. Yes, most standards tend to be free, but
that is still a document by document distinction. And to argue that it is
different elsewhere is wrong. For example, OASIS has plenty of standards that
are not free. I am willing to bet that there are more fee-based licensed
standards in the world than free ones. You have to understand the wide range of
topics discussed in the IETF and the fact that a lot of it might be of no
consequences to open source developers. It is not the job of the IETF to fight
against the patent system. What we need to make sure is that the communities
creating standards ensure that their expected audience can implement it.

If you don't understand how something works, saying its broken is the lazy way
out. Should we do a better job educating people about the IPR consequences of
using RFCs? Of course! Should we make it harder for encumbered tech to make it
into standards? Hell yeah! But we need to solve the problem where it belongs.

As for TSG's comments: show me an organization this size that doesn't have
people who worry more about their ass than the community they are in. You
comment makes as much sense as saying that you would not vote for president
because politics is dirty and all about self promotion. Grow up.

EHL