Re: Last Call: draft-peterson-rai-rfc3427bis (Change Process forthe Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)) to Proposed Standard]

2009-03-25 03:01:41
I'd like to echo Alan's point here...

4. In the security considerations of most SIP extensions, we inevitably end up referring to S/MIME. However, we know that there is no S/MIME deployments with SIP, essentially making the resulting security considerations irrelevant. Perhaps some guidance on practical security considerations would be worthwhile going forward, given the heavy reliance on hop-by-hop security and transitive trust in deployed SIP systems.

We've got to quit pointing to S/MIME when we know that no one believes us!

The input I'm getting from SIPconnect/1.1 contributors is that they're not even excited about hop-by-hop TLS - a fair number of deployments are running wide open. I'm thinking this isn't going to end well.

Thanks,

Spencer