Re: designate an email address for testing at any provider

2009-03-30 17:27:48
A test-only email address should be recognized in standards, much as
test-only domains exist (e.g., example.com and *.test), for similar
purposes of having a token that can safely escape into the wild from
internal use and documentation without fear of representing an actual
account. I did not find an RFC or other standard providing this.

I fear you are about 25 years too late.  It has long been a normal
configuration to have a "catch all" domain in which every possible
address is valid. Typically all go to the same place or a small set of
places.

This lets mail get delivered even if the address was typed slightly
wrong, e.g., john(_at_)example(_dot_)com vs jon(_at_)example(_dot_)com, and it
lets you make
up per correspondent addresses which are handy when you're signing up
for lists and web sites you don't entirely trust.  On today's Internet
where 95% of mail is spam, catachall domains aren't as attractive as
they once were, but there are lots of them and they're not going away.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.