Re: WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

2009-04-27 03:25:59
On Saturday 25 April 2009 22:32:35 ext Christian Huitema wrote:
A host may have multiple default gateways on the same "interface".
However, those gateways should be usable interchangeably. All of those
gateways should have the same "values" for the properties above.
Otherwise, I would argue the network is broken and/or the host is
misconfigured. In other words, it can pick any of its live gateways
outbound, and may receive packets from any of those gateways in the other
direction. If I'm not mistaken, the IETF IPv6 wireless network is an
example of this.

There are obvious examples where multiple gateways make sense. For example,
a home network could have routers attached to different broadband
providers, with different bandwidth and different connectivity
characteristics. Rémi, you may believe that this is a configuration error,
but it is only an error because our protocols do not handle that
configuration very well.

It is a configuration error. If only because existing devices on the network
assume that those gateways work the way I said, interchangeably.

I would expect MIF to address the problem and
suggest fixes...

I doubt MIF can solve backward compatibility.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Nokia Devices R&D, Maemo Software, Helsinki