Re: WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

2009-04-27 05:43:31

From: "=?iso-8859-1?q?R=E9mi?= Denis-Courmont"
<remi(_dot_)denis-courmont(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com>
On Saturday 25 April 2009 22:32:35 ext Christian Huitema wrote:

There are obvious examples where multiple gateways make sense. For
example, a home network could have routers attached to different
broadband providers, with different bandwidth and different
connectivity characteristics.

Exactly the configuration I've currently at home. To make it work on
Linux, I need to use few ip table rules to direct packets correctly.

It is a configuration error. If only because existing devices on the
network assume that those gateways work the way I said,
interchangeably.

It just shows some lack of vision, which should be fixed.. Hopefully
MIF can do it.

I doubt MIF can solve backward compatibility.

Hmm.. wouldn't give up backward compatibility without trying. And if
not 100%, maybe good enough level can be reached...