Re: IAOC Meeting location selection

2009-05-29 18:25:05

John,

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 03:39:17PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

When you have time, I (and I believe others) would like to
understand better how you evaluate "reasonable costs for the
IETF and attendees".   I think it is general knowledge that it
is possible to trade IETF costs off against participant costs
(e.g., making things cheaper for the IETF and more expensive for
participants).  It would be good to know how the participant
costs are estimated and how the two are balanced.

While I appreciate your interest in such details, I believe we should
also be realistic in how precise such trade-offs can be made. Eg. the
IAOC just doesn't have the staff or budget to create detailed models
on the cost/benefit analysis and the IAOC would easily end up in a
situation where more money/energy gets spend to try to determine the
optimum site location and to fully inform the community on every
decision it makes. Basically, what I expect the IAOC to do is to make
a judgement call based on the various variables.

So far, I don't believe there is any evidence that IAOC has made
decisions to hold meetings in places that are completely out of the
question. At the same time, by occasionally holding a meeting in a
location that is somewhat unusual, we will continue to be able to
evaluate whether all our assumptions about the importance of airline
hubs or the desirability of a short train trip are really that
important for all participants.

Basically, instead of endless discussions on the merits of a required
short railtrip from 1 of 3 different very large airports that are all
listed very high in the european top 10 hub airports, let's go to
Maastricht and see how it will work out.

David Kessens
---