Re: IAOC Meeting location selection

2009-05-29 20:14:51
I don't think we have a specific set of requirements from the community. Dave Crocker and some friends started putting some notes together more than a decade ago, and last I spoke with him about it he had dropped it because he had been unable to form a consensus. Maybe that needs to be renewed. What we do understand we know as much as anything because we ourselves are IETF participants. As Bob put it, the first requirement is that the meeting be effective, and the direct implications of that include that it be reasonably accessible at a rational cost, that it have a meeting facility with an appropriate set of rooms, that it have enough hotels and restaurants and that they be rationally located with respect to the meeting facility, and so on. After that, we get into a lot of minutia of the costs of this and that and the desires of the sponsors. There are also some purely business issues that come up - sometimes we can horse-trade prices when comparing locations.

Taking one example that you mention in your note, I don't believe that the IAOC understands the community requirement to be "direct international flight" - we don't bend a rule there, we understand the rule to be something different. If we did think the rule was "direct international flight" and interpreted that literally - "for any given meeting, a participant from Australia, New Zealand, Korea, China, Japan, any European country, Canada, or the US needs to be able to get to the exact location using at most one international flight and take no additional leg afterwards" - I think the set of places we could meet would be very small, probably the null set, simply because of the number of places we come from and their various geographies. What we do understand the requirement to be is that the number, cost, and convenience of connections, along with other costs and issues, be optimized for the average participant, and yes we try to do that to the extent that we can.

In consideration of that, look at the question we asked about Vancouver vs Quebec City. Ray will give the results Monday when the poll closes, but at this instant we are running about 2:1 in favor of Quebec City. For our Asian colleagues, that means flying to a major US or Canadian airport like EWR, ORD, or YYQ, and taking another flight to YQB. For our European colleagues, there are a few direct flights from Europe, but for the most part they will similarly go to New Jersey, Chicago, Montreal, or Toronto, and then on to YQB; from ARN to YQB int.net finds 44 paths but only five that have a single stop, and those are all via ORD or EWR. In the US, folks will fly to one of a few major hubs and fly on to YQB. For me personally, itn.net tells me that I will fly from SBA to a major hub like LAX or SFO, from there to a hub near the US/Canadian border like ORD, DTW, YYZ, or EWR, and then proceed to Quebec City - three legs, and I will probably do it the day before rather than trying to do it in one day. I would expect that our ANZ colleagues will follow me - a long hop to LAX or SFO, another to the US border with Canada, and a final hop. Vancouver is a major international hub, but Quebec City is not; like Minneapolis, Dublin, Prague, San Diego, Dallas, Vienna, Stockholm, Hiroshima, Atlanta, Orlando, and Maastricht, it is a place one gets to one hop beyond a major hub. And what we are being told is - "Vancouver is nice, but let's go to Quebec City".