Re: Last Call: draft-dawkins-nomcom-dont-wait (Nominating CommitteeProcess: Earlier Announcement of Open Positions and Solicitation ofVolunteers) to BCP

2009-06-24 17:53:16
Hi, Pekka,

Russ asked me to prepare OLD/NEW text for an editor's note on this:

The IETF Executive Director, who is part of the Secretariat, already has a role in NomCom. The IETF Executive Director provides the requirements for the open positions.

Would you be more comfortable if the Executive Director were named as the responsible party?

Yes. I'd be even more comfortable if the text could be inclusive, for example that either NomCom chair or IETF exec director could send out the announcement, but if shared responsibility seems like a bad idea, I can accept that argument.

Here's what I'm suggesting. I left the primary responsibility for this with the Chair, if the Chair HAS been named.

Thanks,

Spencer

OLD:

3.  Discussion

  This document proposes that the IETF Secretariat will issue the
  announcement of open positions and the solicitation for names of
  volunteers on behalf of the Incoming NomCom Chair who will be named
  by the ISOC President.  This allows the search for the Incoming
  NomCom Chair and volunteers to proceed in parallel.

NEW:

3.  Discussion

  This document proposes that the IETF Executive Director will issue the
  announcement of open positions and the solicitation for names of
  volunteers on behalf of the Incoming NomCom Chair who will be named
  by the ISOC President, if the Incoming NomCom Chair has not yet been
  named.  This allows the search for the Incoming NomCom Chair and
  volunteers to proceed in parallel.

OLD:

4.  Updated text from RFC 3777

  For [RFC3777], in section 4, "Nominating Committee Selection", bullet
  13, which states:

     The Chair obtains the list of IESG and IAB positions to be
     reviewed and announces it along with a solicitation for names of
     volunteers from the IETF community willing to serve on the
     nominating committee.

  this text is replaced with the following text:

     The IETF Secretariat obtains the list of positions to be reviewed
     and announces it along with a solicitation for names of volunteers
     from the IETF community willing to serve on the nominating
     committee.

NEW:

4.  Updated text from RFC 3777

  For [RFC3777], in section 4, "Nominating Committee Selection", bullet
  13, which states:

     The Chair obtains the list of IESG and IAB positions to be
     reviewed and announces it along with a solicitation for names of
     volunteers from the IETF community willing to serve on the
     nominating committee.

  this text is replaced with the following text:

     The Chair (or the IETF Executive Director, if no Chair has been named)
     obtains the list of positions to be reviewed and announces it along
     with a solicitation for names of volunteers from the IETF community
     willing to serve on the nominating committee.

Comments?

Thanks,

Spencer