More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-06-28 12:34:22
Hi,

XML2RFC isn't working for me.

For instance, We are now required to use boilerplate that the "official" version of XML2RFC doesn't recognize so it's necessary to use a beta version that is even more undocumented than the regular undocumentedness of the "official" version of XML2RFC. Of course such things tend to only surface the day of the cutoff.

I used to write drafts by hand sometimes in the past, but this is also very hard, because today's tools just don't have any notion of hard line endings, let alone with spaces at the beginning of all lines and hard page breaks (at places that make no sense in an A4 world, too).

This is getting worse because the checks done on IDs upon submission are getting stricter and stricter.

See http://www.educatedguesswork.org/movabletype/archives/2007/11/curse_you_xml2r.html for a long story that I mostly agree with.

As such, I want to see the following:

- the latest boilerplate is published in an easy to copy&paste format
- drafts may omit page breaks
- drafts may omit indentation and hard line breaks
- no requirements for reference formats

Note that this is for drafts in general. If the RFC editor wishes to impose stricter formatting rules I can live with that.

Please don't reply with helpful hints on how to work with XML2RFC. Even with a perfect XML2RFC I would still be forced to create XML, which is something I desperately long to avoid.