Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-06-28 18:35:13
While I use xml2rfc and do so reasonably happily, a few comments below...

--On Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:33 PM +0200 Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi,

XML2RFC isn't working for me.

For instance, We are now required to use boilerplate that the
"official" version of XML2RFC doesn't recognize so it's
I used to write drafts by hand sometimes in the past, but this
is also very hard, because today's tools just don't have any
notion of hard line endings, let alone with spaces at the
beginning of all lines and hard page breaks (at places that
make no sense in an A4 world, too).

Gee. I've had few of those problems when I edit with emacs or its clones. I guess that doesn't qualify as "today's tools" in your book but, if so, your issue is much broader than xml2rfc.

This is getting worse because the checks done on IDs upon
submission are getting stricter and stricter.
As such, I want to see the following:

- the latest boilerplate is published in an easy to copy&paste
format

Agree that it is a problem if it is not readily available in that form. But the Trustees seem to be too busy creating new policies.

- drafts may omit page breaks

While I've stopped noticing whether the non-requirement is being enforced, to my knowledge, page breaks have _never_ been required in I-Ds. The problem is that the Secretariat likes (or has been told to) published a page count as part of the I-D announcement and that they can't figure out the page count without page breaks. On would think that they could get a good approximation by scanning the document counting lines as well as looking for page breaks to count, noticing that there are no page breaks, and dividing the line count by 56, but, for some reason, that has been considered too hard for a decade or so.

- drafts may omit indentation and hard line breaks

Indentation should not (ever) have been a problem with I-Ds.

Line breaks are because a situation in which some documents have them and others interfere with a different set of reading (and printing) tools. Just as you want to be able to say "I want to be able to submit drafts without using xml2rfc to format them", I want to be able to say "I don't want my drafts to require processing through some display formatter before I can read them or have a discussion with someone else that includes references to "Line M of Paragraph 2 of Section 5.2". I also note that some of us are very dependent of diffs and the like which also depend on well-defined lines. So your soft line break requirement is the one that strikes me as completely unreasonable.

- no requirements for reference formats

To the best of my knowledge, this has never been a requirement for I-Ds and the posting tools don't check it. I'd be happier if xml2rfc permitted me to write something like:

<reference anchor="FooBar" status="later" />

and have it generate
  [FooBar] ... to be supplied ...

and/or
<reference anchor="FooBaz" status="incomplete">
  <t>whatever notes I want to write to myself, potentially with
   embedded cref elements </t>
</reference>

I'd be happy to have either of the above generate warnings, but they should not prevent the document from compiling. On the other hand, I've figured out how to get around that sort of thing, so I've never considered it very important.

Note that this is for drafts in general. If the RFC editor
wishes to impose stricter formatting rules I can live with
that.

Good. Because they certainly will. Note also that there is a potential difference between a working draft that you are sharing with friends or a WG and incrementally developing and a draft that the IESG is willing to look at or put out for Last Call. Certainly it would be reasonable to subject the latter to requirements that more closely resemble the RFC ones than it is for the former.

   john