Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-06-29 10:08:44
On 29 jun 2009, at 0:34, John C Klensin wrote:

I've had few of those problems when I edit with emacs or its clones. I guess that doesn't qualify as "today's tools" in your book but, if so, your issue is much broader than xml2rfc.

There are probably IETF contributors who are younger than emacs.

Although I am reasonably familiar with a couple of old school text editors (vi and pico), as far as I am aware those don't handle hard line endings transparently, which is the ultimate source of most of the problems.

The problem is that the Secretariat likes (or has been told to) published a page count as part of the I-D announcement and that they can't figure out the page count without page breaks.

They could publish a word count instead. In most areas of writing word counts are used to evaluate the length of a text.

Line breaks are because a situation in which some documents have them and others interfere with a different set of reading (and printing) tools. Just as you want to be able to say "I want to be able to submit drafts without using xml2rfc to format them", I want to be able to say "I don't want my drafts to require processing through some display formatter

It's true that you can't load a text file without hard line breaks in a browser and have the browser wrap the lines. However, printing a draft or RFC requires processing today as the page break characters no longer seem to work these days. With soft line breaks you can easily load the text into an editor and print from there.

before I can read them or have a discussion with someone else that includes references to "Line M of Paragraph 2 of Section 5.2". I also note that some of us are very dependent of diffs and the like which also depend on well-defined lines. So your soft line break requirement is the one that strikes me as completely unreasonable.

Well, creating line breaks is not exactly rocket science so it should be easy enough to create a tool that breaks lines in a consistent way. However, once the lines are broken editing and printing become harder so I think the "official" version of a draft should have unbroken lines.

I'd be happier if xml2rfc permitted me to write something like:

<reference anchor="FooBar" status="later" />

Yes, this is the problem with XLM2RFC. It's trying to be way too smart, usually unsuccessfully. So now I have to remember that I need to call an experimental draft "exp", while just typing "experimental" would be so much easier. Or it insists that it knows how to create my full name from my first and last names, but of course it doesn't know that in Dutch a last name on its own starting with "van" has the V capitalized ("Van Beijnum") but if there are initials or first names it's lower case ("I. van Beijnum"). Life is too short to battle with your tools.